Props and Puzzle Designer
Secret City Adventures designs, develops, and delivers immersive experiences. Founded on the principles of experience design, we are pioneers in immersive digital and live action experiences, urban revitalization and other curious endeavours.
In 2013, we partnered with Scrap Entertainment in Japan to bring the Real Escape Game to Toronto, hosting over 25,000 players. Since then we have produced the critically-acclaimed Casa Loma Escape Series, a game based on the TV series Murdoch Mysteries and developed a revolutionary new escape format at Black Creek Pioneer Village.
About the Role
The Props and Puzzle Designer is someone who is passionate about live interactive gaming, immersive theater, and loves working with their hands as well as with a team. They are detail-oriented, possess a strong organizational sense, and are a key player in creating a remarkable experience for our patrons. They have a wide network of peers with diverse skills on which they can draw as a resource. Their primary responsibility is to make sure that all game elements that players interact with are maintained to the highest quality possible.
The Props and Puzzle Designer works with and reports to the Secret City Adventures design team, but also works closely with the Casa Loma Escape Game operations managers, game leads and other staff to design, deliver, and maintain unique, immersive experiences. They are primarily responsible for ongoing maintenance, prototyping, and building of puzzle prop pieces, with a focus on robust designs.
- Starting immediately
- Full time contract (40 hours per week)
- Benefits package available after 3 month probation period
- Location: Casa Loma (1 Austin Terrace), Toronto
- Compensation: based on experience
- Produce and maintain all puzzles, props, and set pieces for all Casa Loma Escape Series games
- Coordinate with design team, managers, and staff leads to maintain individual game requirements
- Attend weekly design and production meetings and general operations meetings
- Manage the monthly production budget for each game
- Create and update design and operational documents as needed
- Hire and manage contractors as needed
- Additional tasks as assigned by the management team
- Passionate about immersive gaming and live adventure events
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Hands on experience of working with a range of materials and an open attitude to the challenges of working with new tools
- Experience working with electronics
- Fabrication experience
- Phenomenal problem solving and organizational skills, with high attention to detail and user experience design
- The ability to work individually as well as in a team
- Flexible schedule as required
- Comfortable with moderate levels of physical activity
- Ability to look and plan ahead, as well as to react to immediate issues
- Ability to self motivate and work to deadlines
- Ability to organize workload and work in an ordered and efficient way
- Game design experience considered an asset
- Driver’s license and vehicle considered an asset
Secret City Adventures is an equal-opportunity employer. Applications should include a portfolio demonstrating your ability to design and create a variety of props and styles, as well as your cover letter, resume, and any other relevant info you have to share. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you are interested in this opportunity please send your cover letter, resume, and any other interesting info you have to share to SCAjobs@secretcityadventures.com