Secret City Adventures designs, develops, and delivers immersive experiences. Founded on the principles of experience design, Secret City Adventures is a pioneer in live-action immersive games and experiences, and other curious endeavours.
In 2013, we partnered with Scrap Entertainment in Japan to bring the Real Escape Game to Toronto, hosting over 25,000 players. Since then we have produced the critically-acclaimed Casa Loma Escape Series, a game based on the TV series Murdoch Mysteries and developed a revolutionary new escape format at Black Creek Pioneer Village.
About the Role
The Game Designer is someone who is passionate about live immersive gaming experiences, and theatrical escape games, with a keen interest in puzzle design and the user experience.
The Game Designer works with the Secret City Adventures team to design and produce unique puzzles and player challenges, prototype and iterate on concepts, and establish overall game structures and flow.
They are a team player, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast paced environment, pivoting their work in different directions as needed. As a key member of the design team they bring unique skills used in the creation of remarkable experiences for our patrons.
- Starting immediately
- 5-month contract (May – Sept, 40 hours per week)
- Location: Casa Loma (1 Austin Terrace), Toronto
- Compensation: based on experience
- Passionate about immersive gaming and live adventure events
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Hands on experience of working with a range of materials and an open attitude to the challenges of working with new tools
- Experience working with electronics
- Fabrication experience
- Phenomenal problem solving and organizational skills, with high attention to detail and user experience design
- The ability to work individually as well as in a team
- Flexible schedule as required
- Comfortable with moderate levels of physical activity
- Ability to look and plan ahead, as well as to react to immediate issues
- Ability to self motivate and work to deadlines
- Ability to organize workload and work in an ordered and efficient way
- Game design experience considered an asset
- Driver’s license and vehicle considered an asset
- Produce and maintain all puzzles, props, and set pieces for all Casa Loma Escape Series games
- Coordinate with design team, managers, and staff leads to maintain individual game requirements
- Attend weekly design and production meetings and general operations meetings
- Manage the monthly production budget for each game
- Create and update design and operational documents as needed
- Hire and manage contractors as needed
- Additional tasks as assigned by the management team
Secret City Adventures is an equal-opportunity employer. Applications should include a portfolio demonstrating your ability to design and create a variety of game design assets, documents, or other relevant material. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you are interested in this opportunity please send your cover letter, resume, and any other interesting info you have to share to SCAjobs@secretcityadventures.com